The ingredients of muffins are varied. It can be a natural, fruity, vegetable. You can make it with milk, buttermilk, yoghurt…They are super delicious whatever version you choose. I love the zucchini muffin because is very moist for days because of the grated zucchini.
The walnut-zucchini muffins are juicy and naturally sweetened because I use nectar for sweetening. The taste of zucchini does not dominate, but it makes the muffins juicy.
Prepare the Walnut-Zucchini Muffin Ingredients
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and measure out all of the ingredients. In a bowl combine, 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, 1/3 cup honey and mix until combined. Then add 2 eggs, 2/3 cup buttermilk and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract to it. Continue the mixing.
Combine the dry ingredients: 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.
Wash zucchini and grate it (peel if desired, but not necessary). Squeeze the moisture out of the grated zucchini and set aside.
Chop 3/4 cup of walnut roughly and toast it in a pan until it is toasted. It is for about 5 to 6 minutes.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and combine. Add the toasted walnut and grated, squeezed zucchini to it. Gently stir them in the batter.
Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups (fill them till 3/4). If necessary, grease the muffin cups with cooking spray or butter, but you can also use muffin papers. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Garnish the muffins with half a walnut on top. Let them cool and enjoy!
Zucchini Muffin with Toasted Walnut
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅔ cup buttermilk (or natural yoghurt)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups flour (whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1½ cups zucchini (grated)
- ¾ cup walnut (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C).
- In a medium bowl combine the coconut oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and set the bowl aside.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, grounded cinnamon, grounded nutmeg and salt.
- Wash and grate the zucchini. Squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini then set aside.
- Roughly chop the walnut and toast it.
- Finally, pour the liquid mixture into the dry and combine thoroughly. Stir in the toasted walnut and grated zucchini.
- Divide with a spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups until they are ⅔ full. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes. Let them cool and enjoy!