Zucchini is very versatile summer squash. It is a type of summer squash that is low in food energy. Contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, and provitamin A. You can use it for salads, soups, you can make it grilled, fried…it is up to you. In this recipe, I show you how to make stuffed. Zucchini boats stuffed with minced meat are hearty so it is a perfect main course.
Tip: We Hungarians often make “vegetable stew” from zucchini. A Hungarian boiled seasoned vegetable dish thickened with sour cream and flour, often eaten with stew, egg, and bread.
Making zucchini boats step by step
Wash the zucchini and cut it in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and scoop the flesh out of the zucchini. (Do not throw it out, because we will use it later!) Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with basil or thyme or oregano…It is up to you what you would like.
Peel and chop an onion. Heat a drizzle of oil in a pot, put in the chopped onion, and cook until is tender. Then peel and mince 2 cloves of garlic and add to it, continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Be careful, do not cook for more than 3 minutes to avoid overcooking the garlic.
Add in 500 g minced meat and season with salt and pepper. You can use one type of meat or a drier and fatter meat mixture, for example, half of the meat is beef, the other half is pork. Zucchini stuffed with minced meat is tastier if you use a mixture because it will be juicier than just using dry meat. Then chop the scraped zucchini flesh and stir in the minced meat. Cook for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Lean a baking tray with baking paper and put the zucchini in. Fill them with cooked minced meat. Slice tomato rings on top of the zucchinis, finally sprinkle them with shredded cheese, and put it in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until zucchinis are tender and cheese is melted. If it is done, sprinkle with parsley, serve and enjoy!
Zucchini Boats Stuffed with Minced Meat
- 2 zucchini
- 17,5 oz minced meat (beef, pork, turkey) (500 g)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- basil or thyme or oregano (It is up to you)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Wash the Zucchini and cut in half into lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh (Do not throw out!) Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with basil or thyme or oregano…It is up to you what you would like.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pot and add the chopped onion, cook until opaque. Then add the minced garlic to it and cook them a little more.
- Put in the minced meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the flesh of the scraped zucchini and stir in the minced meat. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Lean a baking tray with baking paper and put the zucchini on it then spoon the meat filling into the zucchini.
- Slice the tomato into rings and put them on top of zucchini, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Reheated oven bake the zucchini for 20 to 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley then serve and enjoy!