We Hungarians really like soups, which we almost never miss out on family lunches. This chicken soup recipe is made special by tarragon. In winter, a hot tarragon chicken soup is like a hot tea or mulled wine that heats you up quickly.
This tarragon chicken ragout soup is made from many ingredients especially vegetables, which is why it is so delicious. The other main ingredient in this soup is meat. If you are a vegetarian you can omit the latter. We will now share the meaty version with you.
Tarragon chicken soup recipe step by step
Start by diced the chicken breast fillet. We usually cut it into cubes in ragout soup or you can also cut it into 1,5 or 2 inches long strips.
Peel and chop a big onion and 1 clove of garlic finely. Heat a drizzle of oil in a pot add the chopped onion and garlic, cook until translucent. Be careful not to let them burn otherwise it will be bitter. Then add the diced chicken breast fillet. Cook until the meat is white (takes about 6 to 8 minutes).
Continue peeling and cutting the vegetables
Cut all vegetables (2 turnips (parsley root), 1 potato, 1 small celery root, 1 small kohlrabi) into cubes or irregular wedges, cut 3 carrots into 1/4 inch rings. (Important, cut vegetables the same size to ensure even cooking).
Add the chopped vegetables to the chicken breast, pour over water (about 1 to 1.5 litres), season with salt and pepper and cook under a lid. While the chicken is cooking, prepare 4 to 5 medium-size mushrooms by peeling, washing and cutting. When the chicken is half softened add the mushrooms and 3/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas, cook them ready.
In a little bowl pour 3/4 cup heavy cream and add about 3 to 4 ladle of soup and mix it well. Important not to add the heavy cream directly because it will curdle. Then pour the mixture back into the soup.
Flavouring and serving of tarragon chicken soup
The end of the cooking, add 1 tbsp dried tarragon and 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley. When the soup boils again to turn the heat off and add the squeezed lemon juice. To serve, crumble more tarragon and parsley on top and enjoy!
Tarragon Chicken Soup Recipe with Mushroom
- 1 chicken breast fillet
- 3 tbsps oil
- 3 carrots
- 5 medium mushroom (champignons)
- 2 turnips (parsley root)
- 1 potato
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small celery root
- 1 small kohlrabi
- 1 big onion
- ¾ cup green peas
- 3 tbsps parsley
- 1 tbsp tarragon
- ¾ cup heavy cream (or cooking cream)
- ½ lemon juice
- Cut the chicken breast in small chunks. Heat a little oil in a large pot, add the chopped onion and garlic cook until translucent then add chicken breast chunks and fry until white. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the vegetables into cubes and add to the chicken. Then pour over the water and cook under cover.
- When the meat is almost done add the mushrooms and green peas, cook until all vegetable and the meat are tender.
- Pour the heavy cream in a little bowl add 3 to 4 laddle of soup, combine well and pour it back to the chicken soup.
- Add tarragon and dried or fresh chopped parsley towards the end of the cooking.
- When it boils again, turn the heat off and squeeze in the lemon juice and enjoy!