October is the month of pumpkin season. The pumpkin is very tasty on its own, is super delicious roasted and it is majestically delicious creamy soup. The roasted pumpkin soup in the fall never goes out the fashion. You can use other types of winter pumpkins to make it. While the pumpkin season lasts, be sure to give it a try!
You can make it in many ways. If you are vegan you add to it coconut milk instead of cooking cream. Pumpkin harmonizes really well with both sweet (as dessert: pumpkin muffin) and salty flavors.
But how is pumpkin soup made
Start by roasting the pumpkin. It takes about 40-50 minutes, but it doesn’t take your time, because while the pumpkin roast you can prepare the other ingredients. For detailed tips on how to roast pumpkin, click on the link.
While the pumpkin is roasting, peel and chop the onion finely. Then melt 40 grams butter over medium heat in a large pan and add the chopped onion. Fry until soft but be careful not to overcook the onion, otherwise, it will be bitter.
Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the onion and caramelize. After, pour in one and a half cup of hot vegetable stock and 1 chopped potato. Cook under a lid for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Tip: You can also use apple instead of potato. Apple is a very good choice to balance the sweet flavours.
Finally, add scraped pumpkin and the cooking cream to the honey-onion vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Then cook for another 5 to10 minutes. Tip: This soup has a rich texture, but, if it’s too thick for you feel free to add more vegetable stock to thin it out.
Served with roasted pumpkin seeds and garnish with a few drops of cream on top.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 17,5 oz pumpkin (500g)
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp butter (40g)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1¼ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup cooking cream
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- nutmeg (to taste)
- roasted pumpkin seeds (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and roast the pumpkin. For detailed tips on how to roast pumpkin, click on the link.
- Peel and chop the onion finely. Put the butter in the pan and heat until it melts. Then add the chopped onion and fry until opaque but not coloured.
- Add the honey to the onion and caramelized. Pour in the hot vegetable stock.
- Then add diced potato and cook under a lid for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Add the scraped pumpkin and cooking cream then puree with a blender.
- Put it back on the fire and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Served with roasted pumpkin seeds and garnish with a few drops of cream on top and enjoy!