This apple pie is a typical Hungarian pie. My mother has been making it since the 80s and the taste just never gets old. My all-time favourite recipe. What is the secret? The homemade shortbread and lots and lots of apples. The best apple variety for this pie is a little sour but at the same time sweet.
Making this pie is simple but a bit time consuming because a lot of apples need to be peeled and grated. But it is worth giving time to do it because it is yummy.
Start with the preparation of the apple. Wash, peel and grate 10 larger apples (2kg). Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent the apples from turning brown and set aside.
Making The Dough Of Apple Pie
Weigh out and sift 3 cups of flour then mix with 1 cup of butter and 2 eggs (the other 3 eggs are used later). Knead the dough well and form two loaves. (if needed pour a little milk on the dough). Place one dough in the fridge and stretch out the other enough to cover the bottom of a 12×14-inch baking sheet.
Put the stretched dough in the baking tray and sprinkle with half of the breadcrumbs. Squeeze the grated apple juice (feel free to drink it, you will not need it for the pie), sprinkle the squeezed apples on the dough then sprinkle with 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and the remaining breadcrumbs.
Stretch the other dough to the same size as the previous one. Roll it on the rolling pin and gently cover the apples with it in the baking tray.
Prick the top of the dough with a fork to avoid the top of the pie from bubbling during baking. Finally, grease the top with the remaining 3 egg yolks and place in the preheated oven, bake for approx. 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar on top and enjoy!
Aradi Apple Pie Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 10 apple (2 kg)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare the apples by washing, peeling and grating.
- Mix the flour, butter with 2 eggs. If needed, add a little milk. Knead them well and form 2 loaves from the dough. Put one of the loaves in the fridge.
- Stretch out the other dough enough to cover the bottom of a 12×14-inch baking sheet. Place the stretched dough in the baking tray and sprinkle with half of the breadcrumbs.
- Squeeze the grated apple juice and sprinkle the squeezed apples on the dough. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Stretch the dough set aside and gently roll it on a rolling pin, then cover the apples with it in the baking tray.
- Prick the top of the dough with a fork then mix 3 egg yolks and grease the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at medium-high heat until the top is light brown.
- When serving sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!