Here is the quickest, easiest and most delicious recipe of the leek cream soup you should definitely try.
Prepare the leek by washing, cutting. Cut the root of leek off and the thick dark green ends then cut the leek in half lengthwise and wash well. Then cut it in thin slices. In a large pot melt 2 tablespoons butter, add the leek slices (set aside some of the leek slices to serving) and cook until wilted. Then peel and mince 2 cloves of garlic and add to the leek. Stir about 2 to 3 minutes.
Peel and cut 1 potato in small pieces add to the leek and pour over 1 and a half litre water. Season with salt and white pepper (the white pepper goes very well with the leeks). Cook until the potato and the leeks are tender.
When it is cooked, puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Then add 3/4 cup cooking cream and the half of the cheese, continue the cooking while it boils again after turn the heat off.
Serve with croutons, remaining cheese, thin leek rings and enjoy!
Make croutons for leek cream soup
2 or 3 days old bread is the best for making croutons. Cut the 2 to 3 slices of bread into small cubes. Making sure, the bread cubes are the same size ensures the even toasting. Toss to a bowl, pour 2 tablespoons olive oil, add 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon thyme (or other green spice) finally, season salt and pepper. Mix well with your hand until all bread cubes are nicely coated with olive oil and spices.
Lean a baking tray with baking paper and toss the croutons in. Put in the oven at 375 degrees (190 celsius) and stir frequently and toast until golden brown or crispy.
You can serve it immediately for soups or when the croutons have cooled put them in an airtight container so they stay are fresh and crispy for a long time.
Leek Cream Soup with Croutons
- 1 leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 potato
- ¾ cup cooking cream
- 2 tbsps butter
- salt and white pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 2 slices of dried bread
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp thyme or oregano
- 1 pinch of salt
- Prepare the leek and cut into thin rings.
- In a large pot melt the butter, add the leek rings and cook until wilted. Then add the minced garlic, stirring about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour over the water, add the chopped potato, season with salt and white pepper and cook until all ingredients are tender.
- Finally, puree the soup until smooth and add cooking cream, half of the cheese. When it boils again to turn the heat off.
- Serve with crouton, remaining cheese, thin leek rings and enjoy!