The minestrone soup is a hearty Italian soup variety. Its name comes from the word Minestra that means soup. It contains many colourful vegetables that is why we bought a lot of them and cooked a perfect classic Italian minestrone soup that is not only delicious but also healthy. (What else you want to put into it is determined by season and the market).
Let’s See How to Make the Classic Italian Minestrone Soup:
I like to prepare everything before cooking so I start by peeling, washing, chopping vegetables. Chop the onion finely, mince 2 cloves garlic, cut 2 carrots into rings, cut 2 celery stalks, 1 cup green beans, 3 medium-size tomatoes into small pieces, tear the basil leaves into strips.
After the preparation heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot and put the diced onion. Cook until is translucent. Add the minced garlic after 30 seconds then the carrot rings and celery pieces cook a few minutes or until are begin to soften. Then stir in 1 cup of chopped green beans season with salt, pepper, oregano, dried basil.
After about 3 minutes add the diced tomatoes, 1 can (4dl) tomato paste, 6 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the black beans cook for another 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt if needed.
Meanwhile, boil salty water in a large pot. Once water is boiling add 1/2 cup soup noodles to the pot. Stir and cook it for 8-10 minutes (al dente) or cook according to package instruction.
This soup is also consumed hot and cold. It depends on the season. When serving in bowls add 1-2 tbsps soup noodles per bowl, garnish with freshly chopped basil leaves and grated parmesan on top and enjoy!
Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 cup green beans (15 dkg)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste (4 dl)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or water and broth concentrate or bouillon)
- 1 can black beans (4 dl)
- fresh basil
- ½ soup noodles
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Start cooking the diced onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and after 30 seconds add carrots and celery and cook until begin to soften, a few minutes.
- Then stir in the green beans and add salt and pepper, oregano and basil.
- After 3 minutes add the diced tomato and the tomato paste and the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the black beans cook for another 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- When serving in bowls, add soup noodles and top the soup with parmesan and freshly chopped basil and enjoy!