Avocado salad is the simplest salad in the World. It only takes 15 minutes to prepare. It goes well for roast meat dishes or it can be eaten on its own. But it is perfect for a healthy, light dinner too.
There are many variations of making an avocado salad. With boiled eggs are my favorite mainly because of the protein source. I will share this recipe with you below.
Begin Cooking The Eggs
How to avoid cracking eggs during cooking
There are several homemade practices to avoid cracking eggs during cooking. Remove the eggs from the fridge at least 1 to 2 hours before cooking. When they reach room temperature place them in a pot. Fill with cold water, covering the eggs. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to it. Cook the eggs in low heat for 8 minutes from the point the water has come up to a boil. After 8 minutes cool down the eggs in cold water and you can peel them easily. Click on the link for more extra tips on making the perfect hard-boiled eggs.
Prepare The Ingredients For The Avocado Salad
While the eggs are boiling peel the avocados (for detailed tips, click on the link) and scoop out the flesh. Tip: set the avocado skin aside for serving. See the picture above.
Prepare the other ingredients by washing, peeling, and cutting them. The shape of the tomatoes, red onion, boiled eggs, and scraped avocados is up to you. Place them in a bowl and make the dressing.
Dressing For The Avocado Salad
Put 2 teaspoons of basil, 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan, half of the lemon juice, 1 coffee spoon of balsamic vinegar in a mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients until combined. When the dressing is too thick feel free to add a bit of olive oil.
Before serving set it aside for 15 minutes and let the flavors mingle. Serving, pour the dressing over the avocado salad, and enjoy!
If you liked this avocado recipe, try my guacamole recipe as an alternative.
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 boiled eggs
- 2 tsps basil (or a handful chopped fresh basil leaves)
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp parmesan
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 cs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Scoop the avocados and cut in half lengthwise then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons. For detailed tips on peeling avocados, click on the link.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in half and thinly slice or small chunks (or you can also use cherry tomatoes). Peel the red onion and cut it in the same way as the tomatoes. Cut the boiled eggs in small chunks or half-moons. The form of the cut is up to you.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. If too thick, add more oil as need. When serving, pour this dressing over the salad and enjoy!